When conducting a systematic literature review, it is important to know the steps involved. This article will provide you with a system for conducting a literature review. So scroll down to know more!
What does mean of systematic literature?
A systematic literature review is a methodical and comprehensive review of the existing literature on a specific topic or research question. It involves a systematic search, critical appraisal, and synthesis of the literature. A systematic literature review aims to identify, evaluate, and summarize the current state of knowledge on a topic and to identify gaps in the existing research. This type of review is often used in the medical and social sciences but can also be applied to other fields. A systematic literature review aims to provide a comprehensive and unbiased overview of the current literature on a topic.
How can students conduct a systematic literature review?
Conducting a systematic literature review can be a complex and time-consuming process, but there are several steps that students can take to make the process more manageable. Here are some general steps that students can follow when conducting a systematic literature review:
Define the research question: Clearly define the research question or topic on which the literature review will focus.
Identify relevant databases: Identify the relevant databases and keywords that will be used to search for literature.
Conduct a comprehensive search: Conduct a comprehensive literature search using the identified databases and keywords.
Screen the literature: Screen the literature to determine which articles are relevant to the research question and should be included in the review.
Appraise the literature: Appraise the literature to determine the quality and validity of the studies that will be included in the review.
Summarize and synthesize the literature: Summarize and synthesize the literature to identify patterns, trends, and gaps in the existing research.
Present the findings: Present the literature review findings in a clear and organized manner, such as in a report or a manuscript.
It’s also important to consider ethical issues, such as obtaining approval from the institutional review board (IRB) and following citation style guidelines. It’s recommended to consult with a supervisor or librarian to find more appropriate resources and guidelines for conducting a systematic literature review in a specific field or academic level.
Tips we should consider
Here are some tips that students should consider when conducting a systematic literature review:
- Be systematic and consistent: Follow a consistent process throughout the literature review and document all steps taken, such as search terms used and articles screened.
- Be comprehensive: Conduct a comprehensive search of the literature using multiple databases and sources to ensure that all relevant literature is included.
- Be critical: Appraise the literature critically and include only high-quality studies that are relevant to the research question.
- Be organized: Keep track of the literature found in a systematic way, such as using a spreadsheet or reference manager software.
- Be transparent: Clearly document the search process, inclusion and exclusion criteria, and any biases or limitations in the literature review.
- Be aware of ethical issues: Be aware of ethical issues, such as obtaining institutional review board (IRB) approval if necessary, and follow citation style guidelines.
- Be prepared for the time required: Systematic literature review can be time-consuming, so be prepared to invest the necessary time and effort.
- Be open to collaboration: Consult with a supervisor, librarian, or other experts to get guidance and feedback throughout the process.
- Be aware of the latest research: Stay up to date with the latest research on the topic by monitoring relevant databases and journals.
- Be prepared to revise: Be prepared to revise the literature review as new literature becomes available or if new insights emerge.
How we help you?
Our assignment experts can help you develop a research question that is clear, specific, and relevant to your field of study. AssignmentsHelp can help you identify relevant sources and databases for your literature review and provide guidance on searching for literature effectively. Our writers can also help you evaluate the quality and validity of the studies you have included in your literature review. They can also guide you on how to appraise the literature critically. Additionally, they can guide you on how to organize and present the findings of your literature review in a clear and concise manner. We hope this article was helpful; if you have any queries share them with us through a comment below.